Monday, March 21, 2011

Malaysianology #1: Low Cost Terminal to KLIA-2

Posted by Magician @ http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=331041&page=40


I had been traveling a lot these days and there are a lot of thoughts here and there conjured out from here and there and everywhere. Basically, I am against planning my blog post but I think it's time to at least get the theme right so that I can organize my mind when I am blogging. One of the series I had in mind for a long time is one about Malaysians and Malaysia. Bits of these and those. Let's call this series: Malaysianology. Now I think I gonna start with this one which is on my mind since yesterday night.

I didn't know of the very thing called new Low Cost Terminal nor KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) 2, until last night. The plan is shown in the figure above.

Why would I mention this out of nowhere? It's because the original theme for this new terminal is Low Cost Terminal and I heard from a contractor working on the KLIA-2 on stupid things that not even I can imagine of.

New LCT is meant to be 'low cost' but because it is such a huge piece of meat, every contractor and the person who applied for the grant (always a bumiputera, or aboriginals or in most cases in Malaysia, almost 99.999%, Malays) is trying their very, very, very best to squeeze as much money out of the government as possible. Now let me relay to you what I heard of:-

(1) In LCT standard, two levels of building is already considered a lot. HOWEVER, they built multiple stories, with 4 levels being the least. Thus, everything has to be upgraded, including shop lots, interior design, ventilation. The cost for the airport is RM$2 bil., and now it is nearly impossible to build the whole thing under RM$4 bil.;

(2) Thus, they decide that the name Low Cost Terminal is urm, inappropriate. They changed the name to KLIA-2. Wow.

(3) It is not unusual that a big projects involves a lot of contractors. In this case of "KLIA-2" involves unusually a lot. But that's not the point I want to make. The point I want to make is, they are so unsystematic that one design clashes the other. A control tower worth $RM 150 mil. was forced to be demolished and rebuilt because they found out that it blocks the line of sight of the pilot from the airport runway. Ridiculous? Not in Malaysia apparently. They just, you know, demolished it and rebuilt another one by the side. RM$150 mil. gone, just like that.

(4) The volume designed for the LCT is now urm, much much much lower than the amount of passengers that KLIA-2 can accommodate now, because everything is built so much extra in advance that the contractors themselves understood that unless Malaysia becomes a huge metropolitan city like Singapore or Hong Kong, or else it is near impossible to use up to even 50% of the volume.

So how do I feel after listening to these? Sad? Disappointed? Aghast?

How am I going to just accept these?

How much more stupidity like these I have to endure more, from the government and the thoughtless corrupted MPs trying to squeeze every part of the the $RM 5 mil. assigned to them so that they can put them in their pockets?

Fellow Malaysians, I, for one, cannot accept this at all. I believe, and still believe, KLIA happened in that way too because every time I was in KLIA, I felt its bizarre emptiness and casual traffic instead of the busy pace I experienced in Hong Kong. I cannot keep thinking myself that, what is wrong with the Malaysian government?

-

No comments: