Wednesday, August 06, 2008

In Memory of Randy Pausch

Well, first of all, I am sure I will get some critics (or maybe more than I imagine) for that blogpost written in chinese. A rather bizarre phenomena, isn't it, for the reason that most of my blog readers (currently 100% to date) are chinese. Lol.

Let the personal opinions of my own stay. This post is meant for some other stuff which is more important, something which I think I should share with you guys and the whole world (those that have not learnt of it) but it is really, mainly for you guys. Thankfully, it's in English. Yea it is. ;-)

Ask me what inspire me these days? The way to live life. The way that one learns to be loving but insensible at the same time. God I got a lot on the list that goes forever on and on. But I can definitely assure you, I consider my words are of no importance to all of you, unless I have enough experience and gone through enough hardship to convince you.

What about words from a dying man (well he passed away on July 25th, 2008, a few days ago)? An influential professor in the field of Computer Science, Randy Pausch, inherited his will and his way of living life as a happy and aspiring man, through his last lecture on "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams". (The links lead to his biography and the introduction to his lecture in Wikipedia)

He talks about his goals, his childhood dreams; He then talks about how he works toward enabling the dreams of other people and; lastly, he talks about the lessons he learned from the people around him throughout his life.

I might as well let you guys experience this dynamic talk by yourself. I laugh, I fall into deep thoughts, I tear, and I truly understand how a man is supposed to be after I listen to this lecture. I believe I have not chewed most of the lecture material enough to compile the lessons into my own words, but I will put some efforts into letting you guys on some of the snippets that inspire me:-

"Syl said, it took me a long time but I’ve finally figured it out. When it comes to men that are romantically interested in you, it’s really simple. Just ignore everything they say and only pay attention to what they do. It’s that simple. It’s that easy. And I thought back to my bachelor days and I said, damn."

"Remember brick walls let us show our dedication. They are there to separate us from the people who don’t really want to achieve their childhood dreams. Don’t bail. The best of the gold’s at the bottom of barrels of crap."

"Work hard. I got tenure a year early as Steve mentioned. Junior faculty members used to say to me, wow, you got tenure early. What’s your secret? I said, it’s pretty simple. Call my any Friday night in my office at ten o’clock and I’ll tell you."

"Find the best in everybody. One of the things that Jon Snoddy as I said told me, is that you might have to wait a long time, sometimes years, but people will show you their good side. Just keep waiting no matter how long it takes. No one is all evil. Everybody has a good side, just keep waiting, it will come out."

"And be prepared. Luck is truly where preparation meets opportunity."

Well, no more shit, let's get to the lecture live. By the way guys, I have the video downloaded, equipped with a subtitle in chinese which imho is translated in a very accurate and flawless tone by 朱學恒. And I got the lecture's powerpoint (around 12 Mb) plus the transcript of the whole lecture in pdf (248 kb). The video itself is in wmv format and is about 252 Mb. If any of you guys are interested, contact me over msn and I will send you a copy.

In the memory of Randy Pausch, let us learn this life's lesson from him hard core. May him rest in peace, and the great teachings of his stay with everyone of us in our darkest hours and happiest moment, all the time and all the while. Thank you, Randy, for all of these! May God bless you and your family!



Visit Randy's own website here: Carnegie Mellon University: Randy Pausch's Web Site

1 comment:

Zzzyun said...

hey i just finished reading the book of his, titled The Last Lecture!!

and i must say it was a great book, provided me with a lot of great quotes good to live life by.

"the brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people"

sigh.